This broccoli soup is so easy to make that it will become a regular at your table. It has a creaminess you would find in a dairy-based soup, but without the cream. We don’t need cream here! I love how the flavor of broccoli comes through with a bit of sweetness from the leeks. Gosh, this was so yummy. If you like croutons add them in. We like raw pepitas on top for some crunch as well as its’ high levels of zinc and magnesium.
What’s nice about this soup is that it can be frozen in airtight freezer-safe containers. A warm bowl of this delicious soup is just what the body needs after a long and cold winter day!
- You will need a handheld immersion blender to puree smooth.
- 4 stalks fresh broccoli, cut into chunks (frozen may not give the same flavor for this recipe)
- 2 small leeks, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken
stock,or water for a vegan option
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance Soy Free Spread or coconut butter for paleo
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- pumpkin seeds, for garnish, optional
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add oil and spread. Heat until a sizzle, then
addonions and leeks. Stir often to coat well with oil and spread (or coconut butter).
- When the onion and leek begin to brown (about 5 minutes) add broccoli and thyme, stir to combine well.
- Cover stockpot, and let cook for 4-5 minutes. Uncover, add chicken stock or water, raise the heat to medium-high until it reaches a boil. Reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes (cooking the broccoli longer than that may lower its' nutrient value).
- Turn off heat and puree smooth with an immersion blender. Serve hot.
Don't miss a recipe! Subscribe here.